- Embrace ownership role of VPQHC.
- Accept empowerment to think creatively.
- Communicate thoroughly and professionally.
- Demonstrate respect, empathy, and collaborative teamwork.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias.
- Demonstrate high level of financial management, accounting and strategic thinking skills
- Deep understanding of double bottom line concept
The Director of Finance is responsible for managing the financial operations of the organization, ensuring the organization’s financial health and sustainability. This role will oversee all financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting, financial analysis, and compliance requirements. The Director of Finance will work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and VPQHC program staff, to develop and implement financial strategies that support the organization’s mission and goals, and to ensure efficient tracking of project budgets. The Director of Finance is a member of the Senior Management Team.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement financial strategies that support the organization’s mission and goals
- Manage and oversee all financial operations, including accounting, budgeting, forecasting, and financial analysis
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of financial records, including the general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, and other financial systems
- Prepare and present financial reports to the Executive Director and Board of Directors, providing analysis and recommendations as needed
- Ensure compliance with all financial reporting and regulatory requirements, including tax filings, audits, and other reporting requirements
- Manage relationships with external partners, including banks, auditors, and other financial service providers
- Supervises and works with bookkeeper to ensure accurate and timely financial records are maintained.
- Oversees preparation of payroll and records payroll accurately in the General Ledger
- Prepares and transmits timely invoices to funders and other clients that meet contractual requirements
- Maintenance of general ledger
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Develop and oversee the annual budgeting process, working closely with program managers and other stakeholders to develop realistic and achievable budgets
- Monitor actual performance against budget and provide regular updates and analysis to the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Provide monthly reports to program managers on budgeted versus actual expenditures for VPQHC projects; coordinate with program staff to ensure reporting meets program management needs; make adjustments to reports as necessary
- Work closely with program staff to develop budgets for all VPQHC proposals and projects
- Develop and maintain financial forecasting models that support long-term financial planning and decision-making
Strategic Planning and Leadership
- Work closely with the Executive Director and senior leaders to develop and implement strategic plans and goals that support the organization’s mission and vision
- Foster and strengthen relationships with stakeholders in Vermont, regionally, and nationally, to support the continued growth of the organization
- Lead the Finance Committee, collaborating with other committee members to provide strategic financial guidance and support to the organization
- Provide leadership and mentorship, and foster a culture of continuous improvement and professional development
- Collaborate with other senior leaders to develop and implement strategies that support the organization’s mission and goals
- Provide financial oversight of human resources
Board Relations and Reporting
- Report on the financial performance of the organization to the Board of Directors, including regular updates on budget performance, forecasts, and financial risks and opportunities
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to develop and implement financial policies and procedures that align with the organization’s values and strategic goals
- Represent the organization at internal and external events and meetings, providing financial guidance and support as needed
Tax Filing and Compliance
- Oversee all tax filings and compliance requirements, ensuring that the organization is in compliance with all relevant laws and regulations
- Manage relationships with external auditors and other financial service providers to ensure compliance with all reporting and regulatory requirements
- Supervision is received from the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field; MBA or CPA strongly preferred
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in nonprofit financial management that includes expertise in understanding, developing and utilizing allocation methodologies
- Proven track record of successful financial management, including experience developing and implementing financial strategies, managing budgets, and overseeing financial reporting and compliance
- Experience in preparing for and meeting requirements of annual independent financial audits including Federal Single Audits
- Strong leadership and management skills, with experience building and leading high-performing teams
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate financial information to non-financial stakeholders
- Passion for the mission and work of the organization
- Passionate interest in mentoring others and working as a team
This job is performed within a professional office environment, with option to work remotely. The position may require attendance at occasional evening or weekend meetings; and may require occasional overtime. Job may be stressful throughout different periods of the year, mostly relating to audit preparation.
This description illustrates the type of work that characterizes the position and is not an all-encompassing statement of the specific duties, responsibilities and qualifications of individuals who fill the position.