Midway Oil Corporation was founded in 1962, and has a long history of serving the communities of Central and Southern Vermont, and Western New York. The company currently offers 17 TenneyBrook convenience stores and 13 Dunkin' franchises, as well as a wholesale gasoline division.
The Senior Controller oversees the financial operations of the companies and provides leadership and focus to all financial functions to ensure that they support the goals of Midway Oil and affiliates, including enabling the companies to operate efficiently and comply with applicable laws and company policies. This role provides a big picture view of the need to connect all the financial pieces to the operations of the businesses and provide insights, and observations, that influence the effectiveness across the organizations. The Senior Controller needs to understand the businesses and each role of the finance/accounting team.
This position is accountable for the accounting operations of the companies, including maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records compliant with generally accepted accounting principles and comprehensive set of internal controls that delivers timely annual financial audits free from all deficiencies. This position is also responsible for cash management and external reporting to the owners. They are also responsible department audits, budgeting and forecasting, financial analysis and being a strategic business partner to the owners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organizations’ fiscal function and performance
2. Areas of responsibility include general ledger, accounts payable, invoicing and collections, monthly internal and external reporting, budgeting and forecasting, tax reporting, sales support (deal analysis, sales partner strategy analysis, pricing and margin analysis, etc.)
3. Provide financial analysis to owners and provide insights to improve financial performance
4. Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends to assist the owners and other leaders in performing their responsibilities
5. Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organizations by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organizations
6. Participate in the development of the organization's plans and programs as a strategic partner
7. Ensure the financial function scales to meet the needs of the organization
8. Provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the financial discipline
9. Work with owners to develop Key Performance Indicator’s (KPI’s) and metrics across functions
10. Provide strategic financial input and leadership on issues affecting the organization
11. Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs
12. Be an advisor from the financial perspective on any new business into which the corporations may enter
13. Maintain Pricebook and our POS system
1. Setting and Communicating the Financial Vision
2. Accounting, General Ledger, Treasury Management, and Administration
3. Internal and External Financial Reporting
4. Strategic and Financial Planning
5. Financial Systems, Financial Analysis, & Reporting
6. Budgeting and Forecasting
7. Pricing and Margin Analysis
8. Cross Functional Collaboration
9. Large Scale Project Management (financial, banking, legal, IT, etc.)
Education and Experience Requirements
1. BS/BA degree in Finance or Accounting
2. CPA Required
3. 10+ years total accounting or finance managerial experience with at least 3 years in a senior-level role
4. Experience working in a growth business a plus
5. Deep knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles
6. Demonstrated strong interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
7. Experience with a variety of financial and accounting reporting systems
8. Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections
9. Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects
10. General business acumen and operational management experience
Gallagher, Flynn, & Company, LLP has been retained to conduct this search. Interested candidates may ask questions and apply by sending a resume and cover letter to Dan Lyons, HR Consulting at firstname.lastname@example.org. While we appreciate all interest in this outstanding opportunity, only candidates who most closely align with our search will be contacted.
Disclaimer: What is listed above is representative of the responsibilities of the position but are not meant to be an exhaustive list. Responsibilities may change during employment at the company’s discretion. Gallagher, Flynn & Company, LLP and our client do not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.